The Search For Fiona

• April 7, 2006 at 10:38 am #1967
    Adelaide
    Participant

Checking through the city records had left him nearly as confused as when he had started. The fortune teller's words still rang clear in his mind, and he was determined to prove to himself that this was fate and not a farce. It was early afternoon and he had been granted permission to visit the church by his Uncle, who was a bit dumbfounded when his nephew had felt the sudden urge to attend church. Desmond spoke nothing of the fortune teller to anyone in his family, as he felt that they would find the whole thing completely foolish. Ascending the steps he took off his hat and entered through the front doors. Looking for someone who could help him find Father Moxon.

April 8, 2006 at 2:43 am #2563
    Midget
    Participant

Bishop Moxon himself sat in the farthest pew from the front of the church. He had spent the day flipping through prayer books and removing all obscene and unholy markings from them. It hadn't been an easy task and he told himself he'd have to keep on top of the task better in the future. Looking behind him, as he heard a new set of footsteps enter the church, Blake smiled. Standing, he placed the vitiated prayer book under his arm and walked towards the man.

“Good afternoon, sir. Welcome to my humble Church. May I be of assistance?”

The man looked a little familiar, but in all truth the good Father saw so many faces he sometimes couldn't give them their proper name.

April 8, 2006 at 3:15 am #2564
    Adelaide
    Participant

He smiled as he approached the Bishop. Having attended his church on occasion he knew him from his appearance, although he was usually seated in the back row to make himself invisible to most. Although he could not agree with the man's beliefs he admired his character, he was much different than the arrogant Octavius.

“As a matter of fact your grace, you can. I was hoping I might be so fortunate as to look at the records of those who are buried in the catholic cemetery. I'm trying to find the grave site of my great grandmother, but using my mother's maiden name has brought me little luck.”

He would try and search by first name's if possible, hoping he'd get lucky and could move one step further towards his goal.

April 8, 2006 at 4:57 am #2565
    Midget
    Participant

The Bishop listened closely to the man, nodding his head occasionally. Blake himself found himself questioning the words he said during Mass more and more with each passing year, month, and week. However, that doubt rarely showed in his countenance, and not hint of it at the present moment.

“The grave site of your great grandmother, you say? Of course you're welcome to search the records stored here.”

Moxon waved him forward and encouraged the man to follow with the light touch of his hand on his shoulder.

“May I ask your name, sir? And, if it's not too personal, perhaps your desire to find her resting place?”

He smiled widely and glanced back at him with his ever conspicuous mismatched eyes.

April 8, 2006 at 7:29 am #2566
    Adelaide
    Participant

He smiled, pleased at the man's willingness to help him. Although he should not have been surprised, he was a Bishop after all.

“Yes, my dear great grandmother Fiona. My name is Morris, Desmond Morris your grace. And my desire…well I'm not entirely sure if you would believe me or not.”

He followed behind him, wondering if he'd be accused of being sacrilegious for believing a fortune teller.

April 8, 2006 at 6:51 pm #2567
    Midget
    Participant

The Bishop didn't say another word until they reached the door to the series of offices on the far side of the church. Fetching the key out of his pocket, Blake opened the door and ushered Desmond through. Together, they went deeper into the sparsely lit portions corridors leading them closer to the information Desmond sought.

Finally, upon coming to another locked door, Blake stopped and turned again towards the other man.

“Why don't you tell me and then I can tell you whether I believe it or not?”

April 9, 2006 at 4:37 am #2568
    Adelaide
    Participant

“Well, please don't think me a fool for my actions your grace, but it was the words of a fortune teller that brought me here today.”

“I know it sounds strange, but I was approached by a man at the coffee house who was asking to the crowd if anyone knew a Fiona, a great grandmother. Well I was astonished when I realized that perhaps he was talking about me. I had him read my fortune, and he said that my great grandmother was unhappy, and wanted to be buried back in her homeland. But I don't know where that is.”

He waited for the Bishop to laugh and tell him what a fool he was for coming here.

April 10, 2006 at 2:33 am #2569
    Midget
    Participant

Giving him the slightest of nods Blake unlocked the room that housed the records he would need to begin his journey.

“Everything I have is in this room, pertaining to the information you seek. Would you care for perhaps a glass of water and a bite to eat while you search? I believe Sister Mary Catherine has baked an assortment of goods this afternoon.”

He gestured him in towards the room.

“And Mr. Morris, I don't take you for a fool simply someone who wishes to make an old woman happy. That is admirable.”

April 10, 2006 at 4:46 am #2570
    Adelaide
    Participant

He smiled at the compliment.

“Thank you your grace. And yes, if it wouldn't be too much trouble I could use a bite to eat and a drink. I'm afraid I missed my lunch time since I had to ask special permission from my Uncle to take the time off to come here. “

“Yes I do wish to make dear Fiona happy. I know I met her once when I was very young, but I have no recollection of her. I feel that this is the least I can do, since my family spoke so fondly of her.”

April 11, 2006 at 12:21 am #2571
    Midget
    Participant

Blake left the man to his search and his thoughts. Only returning once a short time later to bring him the glass of water and an assortment of various baked goods.

“If there will be nothing else required of me, I have other duties I should attend to, Mr. Morris.”

The Bishop waited for a reply glancing over the shoulder of Desmond at whatever he may or may not have uncovered.

April 11, 2006 at 3:13 am #2572
    Adelaide
    Participant

“Well there is one more thing I would like to mention. But I need it to stay just between the two of us.”

He said before taking a drink of water, turning from his studies to look over at the man.

“It's something quite strange that I was told, and it could have dire consequences if it were to become public information.”

April 11, 2006 at 8:03 am #2573
    Midget
    Participant

Blake stopped his exit and gave Desmond a single nod.

“Go ahead, you have my confidence.”

He doubted anything this young man could say about anything would have dire consequences but stranger things had happened in his life.

April 11, 2006 at 8:14 am #2574
    Adelaide
    Participant

“Well I'm sure you know Miss Alayna Laurent, the prostitute. She has mentioned coming to this church to speak with you on several occasions. What about is non of my business. I'm also sure that you know of Bishop Octavius as well. Well since I have made his acquaintance I have had a strange feeling about him, and recently the words Miss Laurent confided in me have cause that suspicion to grow.”

He took a breath and sighed.

“She seems to be terribly afraid of the man, reluctant to keep his company long, although I know she has gone to see him for what she says is a mandatory confession. Well the other day when we were talking she told me about a most bizarre occurence. She was speaking with him and as they said their goodbyes she heard his voice but his lips did not open nor did they move. She said it was as if he spoke in her mind.”

“Honestly your grace I don't quite know what to make of it, I do not suspect Alayna of being someone who would make things like this up. She has always been honest and open with me when we have talked.”

He looked up at him then, a nervous look on his face. If Alayna found out about this she would be furious.

April 11, 2006 at 11:54 pm #2575
    Midget
    Participant

With a furrowed brow Blake replied.

“I cannot discuss what Ms. Laurent has confided with me in the past; I'm sure you understand. However, I have heard, with a queer veracity, the strangest occurrences regarding Bishop Southwell. Again, though, however, I'm not quite sure what individuals such as yourself believe that I should do? If the Bishop of the Anglican Church is of such dubious nature perhaps you should encourage those attending his services to perhaps seek out another site to explore their spirituality.”

The Catholic Bishop reached up to carefully adjust his collar.

“And that needn't necessarily be my Church,” he added before falling silent.

April 12, 2006 at 2:59 am #2576
    Adelaide
    Participant

He nodded.

“I understand your grace, perhaps I shall warn people of his shady character. I only thought to bring it to your attention because there was no one else I could turn to, and I needed to share the burden with another, however miniscule it might be. There are very few who have taken a vow of silence for such discussions.”

He sighed, glad to have this off his mind for awhile.

“Thank you Father, I think I'm ready to get to work now.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.