Sophie's Fairy Tale

• February 26, 2006 at 3:41 am #1800
    Charlize
    Participant

“It happened when I was about your age Edward. It was late in the day and the weather was unsually warm for that time of year. A lad by the name of Iain Campbell and I, had decided to visit an old cave we had often haunted.” She shifted a bit uncomfortably. “You see, we did not see much of each other since our parents did not get along, but we were the dearest of friends, so it was a rare event that he could find time to visit. It seems like a lifetime ago now.” She whispered. She forced a smile, then continued.

[blockquote]“Iain and I began our trek to the cave. At that time, the sun was still visible, peaking over the distant horizon. Though it were late, we did not plan on staying overly long there.” She grinned. “We had traveled a good distance, all the while catching up on each other's lives and such.” She chuckled. “Well to make a long story short, we had realized too late that we wouldn't make it to the cave and back before nightfall. Knowing that our parent's disposition would be a sour one if returned after dark, we quickly decided to turn back.” Edward sat patiently at her side, listening closely less he miss something. [/blockquote]
    “Now, by the time we had walked more than halfway home, the sun had all but disappeared, which had us both worried about the state our backsides would be in once we got there.” Edward chuckled knowingly. “But there was nothing for it though. So we trudged on, our pace a great deal slower than when we began. Now at this time, we had just walked down one of Scotland's many hills when we noticed something in the distance.” She looked at Edward. “Something was climbing up the next hill. An odd sort of something.” Edward leaned in closer. “Well being the children that we were we went to investigate.”

[blockquote]“As we walked closer, the figure began to take shape and our minds began to register exactly what we were seeing. My dear Edward, we saw the oddest sight that you could dare imagine!” She paused for effect. The boy's nose inched forward. “Wat did ye see m'lady?” She looked at him, her eyes bright with mock astonishment. “Walking fruit!” The boy laughed loudly. “Walkin fruit?” She nodded, grinning. “Indeed, walking fruit! Each with legs of their own. I must say I was flabbergasted by it all, as was my dear friend Iain. They were marching in a straight line up the hill. Oranges, apples, pears…it was indeed a sight!” Edward giggled. “Watcha do m'lady!?” She shrugged smiling. “Well we did what anyone would have done me Bonnie Lad.” She chuckled. “We followed the walking fruit.” The boy laughed again, then waited for her to continue. “Well we moved as quickly and quietly as we could to catch up, and as we closed the distance, we found that we could hear something. Then the closer we got, the more we heard. It sounded like a chorus of little voices singing. I daresay, not only did they walk, but the fruit had broken into song!” The boy was doubled over with laughter as he listened. “You could imagine the shock. I still remember the song to this day.” She began to sing:[/blockquote]
    [div align=”center”]We the fairies blithe and antic,
    Of Dimensions not gigantic,
    Though the moonshine mostly keep us,
    Oft in orchards frisk and peep us,

[blockquote]Stolen sweets are always sweeter;
    Stolen kisses much completer;
    Stolen looks are nice in chapels;
    Stolen, stolen be your apples. [/blockquote]

When to bed the world are bobbing,
    Then's the time to go orchard robbing;
    Yet the fruit were scarce worth peeling
    Were it not for stealing, stealing.
    [/div]
    “It wur dem dare fairies me'lady!!!” Edward's eyes, bright with youthful glee, watched her. “Yes they were! And stealing no less!” She laughed. “Young Edward, what you must know of the Fay folk is that they are a mischievious bunch. Not all in all evil, but very impulsive and do whatever gets into their wee little heads. This particular bunch I presume, had just stolen fruit from a nearby villiage, as is their way.” Nodding matter-of-factly. “Anyway, we had covered enough distance to see that the fairy folk were heading for a small burrow on the side of the hill, and one by one, they disappeared through it.” Her voice dropped, as one would do when sharing a secret. “Well having just seen the wee ones for the first time, Iain and I were determined to catch another glimpse.”

[blockquote]The sudden gust of wind paused her next words. The door to the conservatory opened letting the cold air seep into the otherwise warm room. A lanky footman stepped through, his eyes fixed on the pair. “Edward, what are you doing here?” The boy stiffened as he was addressed. Sophie stood. “I asked him to keep me company.” She looked down at Edward and smiled. “We will continue this later me Bonnie Lad. Edward frowned disappointedly, then nodded. Sophie returned her gaze to the footman. “I apologize if I have caused any problems.” Her apology seemed to placate the man and he nodded. “No need for apologies m'lady. Come Edward, you must finish your chores.” The boy stood and began to follow the man. “Edward.” Sophie called. “We will finish this up tomorrow.” The boy grinned broadly. “Yes me'lady.” And then they were gone. Sophie settled back upon the chaise lounge, smiling. [/blockquote]

February 26, 2006 at 4:02 am #2360
    Charlize
    Participant

Forgot to do my shout out. The song sung by the fairies is called Fairy Song, a poem written by Thomas Randolph.

February 26, 2006 at 4:56 am #2361
    Catherine
    Participant

Very cool…looking forward to more!

February 26, 2006 at 9:25 pm #2362
    Layna
    Participant

Huzzah! The story. Lovely, m'dear.

February 27, 2006 at 1:21 pm #2363
    Jeff Crowley
    Participant

That was a very cute post

February 28, 2006 at 5:14 pm #2364
    Holdyn Wolf
    Participant

You need to write more! That was wonderful, and I love the poem!

Catherine Elizabeth Franklin
    Duchess Somerset

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.