Possible Advantage?

• January 28, 2006 at 3:59 am #1591
    Doug Davis
    Participant

The UK is pretty well known for having a tradition of Knight Hoods. Perhaps an advantage to represent that with a +1 rep bonus?

– Order of St. Michael and St. George

– Order of the Garter (this is pretty rare company, most of the 20-something positions are held by members of the Royal Family)

– Order of the Thistle

– Order of the Bath

– Order of the Star of India

– Order of St. Patrick

Couple of these are no longer in use today, but all of the ones I have listed were around at the time of 1871.

January 28, 2006 at 4:07 am #2082
    VEST Paradox
    Participant

Not a bad idea at all. I had thought about a Knight advantage, but the details of it I was sketchy on. As far as what the requirements for it would be. My thoughts: Requirements: Nobility, Wealthy, or approved SL. 10 pt cost.

January 28, 2006 at 4:26 am #2083
    Doug Davis
    Participant

I would agree with those requirements.

In fact, I think out of all those the Garter could be removed as an option. The others are a little more “commonplace”, and as I said, the Garter is mostly made up of the Royal family.

January 28, 2006 at 7:03 am #2084
    VEST Paradox
    Participant

Added

January 28, 2006 at 6:04 pm #2085
    Doug Davis
    Participant

Awesome. And in lieu of making a new thread and cluttering up the pretty new forum, I’ve another idea.

Under addiction, this is implying substance addictions. What about adding something like Gambling to this? Maybe under the ‘5’ category?

Also, this says that the character must indulge once per hour. I think once per night they RP would maybe be a bit more appropriate? Maybe have to post in the ST Folder or what not them roleplaying out their addiction?

January 28, 2006 at 8:22 pm #2086
    Bishop
    Participant

I believe gambling would be a good addition to the addiction disadvantage. It is a rather common addiction in the real world. Also, I agree that perhaps we should change the requirement to one induldgence per evening of roleplay. As the official room times only run two hours currently, having to roleplay half of that time using your addiction is rather taxing.

On the flip side, we could rework the disadvantage completely. Say perhaps all basic addictions are 5 GP. However, you can have a more serious addiction for 10 GP. In otherwords, you can have a 5 GP alcohol addiction but you can also have a 10 GP alcohol addiction. If you purchase the 5 GP alcohol addiction you only have to induldge, say, 15 minutes whereas with the 10 GP addiction you have to induldge for half an hour.

Any thoughts?

January 28, 2006 at 10:57 pm #2087
    Doug Davis
    Participant

Not bad thoughts at all Barbarian.

That would be very cool, and it makes sense. Some people have a more potent addiction than others.

How about:

5 gp – You have an addiction and need to have it satisfied once per night. The roleplay requirement would indicate that ten minutes of roleplay would be required to satisfy the addiction.

10 gp – A more serious addiction. Twenty minutes of RP is required.

An addiction CAN be ignored. However, this would require a 2d6 + Discipline roll against a TN of 18 for the 5 gp addiction and 24 for the 10 gp addiction. Even a genned character with say 9 Mind & 3 Soul would still require a 6 to be able to toughen up and overcome the addiction.

Someone who has strong mental discipline should be able to fight the addiction.

I’d also say that if someone DOESN’T successfully make that roll, or roleplay the addiction (and people should have to make posts to indicate they successfully met that requirement), the character will receive -2 to all rolls on the next day. This -2 should carry over, so someone who chooses to ignore these requirements and act ‘tough’ should have a -10 to their rolls.

This would be kind of cool in a couple of ways, actually. If you kidnap someone and they have the addiction they can’t satisfy, they will be less focused, having the penalty is a rather fair representation of that.

Also, with a good 5gp/10gp set up it’s more fair for someone who has a less of an addiction can do a SL to kick the habit more easily than someone who is a hardcore coke user.

January 28, 2006 at 11:37 pm #2088
    VEST Paradox
    Participant

I definately like the ideas here, but tracking everyone with addictions RP times will be a pain in the ass. How about if take these ideas you guys have and put them into a mastery called addiction for one of the more nefarious or mischeivous breeds. Put in a table of success, if the activation is over the defense roll by so much, the effects are as you have above?

February 4, 2006 at 3:19 am #2089
    Annabella
    Participant

suggestion.

Amnesia

Cost: 10 GP

Description: You have suffered brain damage and cannot remember your history. This doesn’t mean you don’t have a background and you still remember your core talents and skills — be it theology, law, martial arts or any of the other dozens of abilities. This just means you have no idea how you came to be. You likely have been living the last couple years with key questions in your mind, having adopted an entirely new persona given the lack of details in your life: What is your real name? Where are you from? And how did you get here? Perhaps you washed up on shore from a ship wreck and hit your head. Dozens of theories flood your mind. In a world without a widespread information network, knowing who you ever were can be a nigh impossible task.

RP Requirement: You put your deep history in the hands of the GM and up to fate. You never know what the GM will throw at you — or who you might end up related to. You still need an approved background and it’s recommended the amnesia not have happened within the last few months so you can still have a decent background.

February 4, 2006 at 4:04 am #2090
    Arrolin
    Participant

That’s actually not a bad idea. I rather like it. You almost have two backgrounds, your real one and the one you’ve come to adopt.

I definitly give thumbs up on it.

February 4, 2006 at 4:12 am #2091
    VEST Paradox
    Participant

Added

February 4, 2006 at 7:23 am #2092
    Annabella
    Participant

I stole the suggestion after watching this show called John Doe on the Sci Fi channel today Givin’ credit where credit is due.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.