Poison.

• March 16, 2006 at 10:18 pm #1897
    SaVannah
    Participant

Hey there, party people.

So I've been prowling around these boards for a few days, and here's a question for you: how would a character go about making/administering poisons, given the current rules system?

Poison was still a pretty big thing in the Victorian period (it was considered a woman's weapon, but whatever, men used it too), because forensic science was only just beginning to take shape. Could there be, maybe, like a chemistry or herbology skill or something — or would it just be plain science — that would allow for characters to try and make new, complex poisons? Or to apply them to, say, the tips of needles or daggers, etc.?

Any ideas?

March 17, 2006 at 1:17 am #2474
    Annabella
    Participant

I'm not a big fan of instant death so whatever poison rules developed I think would need to make sure it doesn't cause instant death. I don't dig the concept of developing a character over months on end to have someone sneak poison into his cup because his alertness isn't the best and taking a sip and dying dead just like that.

Steven

March 17, 2006 at 4:29 am #2475
    VEST Paradox
    Participant

I've been working on some toxicology rules, effects of various drugs and poisons. None will be instantly lethal though, most will be gradual and if caught in time can be reversed, but if not the person can die from them. It's a very touchy and careful subject to be approached.

Any ideas are certainly appreciated though

March 17, 2006 at 9:38 am #2476
    Midget
    Participant
    VEST Paradox wrote:
    I've been working on some toxicology rules, effects of various drugs and poisons. None will be instantly lethal though, most will be gradual and if caught in time can be reversed, but if not the person can die from them. It's a very touchy and careful subject to be approached.

Any ideas are certainly appreciated though

Avoid this like the plague.

March 17, 2006 at 5:27 pm #2477
    SaVannah
    Participant

I don't mean to imply that I'm all about instant character death — I hope it didn't come across that way.

It just seemed like a neat facet of the time period to me, so I thought I'd explore it. I can understand how it would be a difficult thing to control in an RPG, but I thought it interesting enough to ask.

And what's the difference between defending oneself against having poison put in their food, and learning Karate? Alertness, and certainly being physically robust, are just as important as being able to throw a good punch, especially in a time period where sickness and poison are common. And, as I said, it's much more likely that a woman would be able to dump poison into your wine, than to ha-cha at you through corset and pettycoat.

That was where my mind was going when I asked about poisons; I just wanted to clarify that. And, again, I do understand how it could be hard to incorporate such a thing into an RPG — I was just interested to see what people might come up with.

The Toxicology sounds neat — I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the quick responses, everyone.

March 17, 2006 at 5:42 pm #2478
    Catherine
    Participant

I understand where you're coming from, Roux-mun, but my first inclination is to echo Blake-mun's sentiment of “avoid this like the plague.” That being said, I would hope there would be a fair and balanced system for this, wherein the poisoner doesn't have a terrible advantage over the poisonee. That's the only way I could see this working. I'm not saying you were asking for or expecting it to be otherwise, just voicing my own opinion.

March 17, 2006 at 8:08 pm #2479
    Charlize
    Participant

I personally like the idea Roux mun, even more so if Chemistry and Botany was a necessary skill that needed to be taken with it. Though I would hate for my char to up and die one day due to poison I'm actually not afraid for the simple fact that it would be a great scene! lol. Of course I understand that not everyone shares my view. I can not wait to see Paradox's results on the poison thing.

March 17, 2006 at 9:58 pm #2480
    SaVannah
    Participant

I definitely see where Steve, Blake-mun and Octavius-mun are coming from. I, too, would hope that whatever system is developed would be fair.

Admittedly, I hadn't considered that players would use something like poisons to roll the game, or cause instant character death, so I'm glad that somebody pointed it out to me.

But yes, Sophie-mun, I think something combining chemistry and botany would be neat too. Just for dorky role-playing reasons.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.