Old Lady on Threadneedle Street

• February 8, 2006 at 9:45 am #1658
    Fallon Granger
    Participant

I was the unwanted son. I was the result of sampling the pleasures of flesh. To clarify, I am not a bastard. The simple truth is that my father never sought to beget a son with his wife. Though I was unexpected, he still called me his namesake.

I was raised to be his mirror. He thought of me as an asset. I was to be educated and obedient. I was to serve his merchant bank as faithfully as he had. With the passing of time I have transcended beyond a mere reflection of his soul. His body now lays rotting in the soil. I have sold his merchant bank to an older gentleman, for I realized it was a fragile business.

I now spend my days working long hours for the Old Lady of Threadneedle Street, and I must say, she is the only angelic I have ever felt affection for. Many a man would complain about the weary drag of time that occurs while they handle matters concerning their career. I thrive in it. My lady love has another name, which is more familiar with the people of London. The Bank of England. Instead of soft flesh my hands caress flimsies, bank notes. The circulation of money, the granting of credit, and the making of investments is how society functions. It is only fitting that I am a connoisseur of finance.

My lady has quite the history. I will admit that pride swells within my shell of human flesh. To think that she is one hundred and seventy-eight years old, and still more glorious than any other unmarried woman. I court her on a daily basis. She taunts me with the knowledge that I may never have her, despite my wealth, regardless of my success. I am infatuated with her. Every night I leave her in the good hands of the Bank Picquet, the military guard that was instituted following an attack during the Gordon Riots. My sweet is protected until I return, ever diligently, each morning of business.

In return for my loyalty I learn tales about my lady love.

Thirty five years ago, before I drew in my first breath, a sewer man discovered an old drain which ran immediately under the bullion vault. The glacial rage stirred within me when I discovered that a rat among men nearly touched the purity of my lady. For such a simpleton he was wise enough to be honest about his discovery. He reported it to the Bank. The open and unobstructed sewer led directly from the gold vaults down to Dowgate. This, of course, was taken care of. In exchange for the truth the simpleton was given just a taste of her sweet nectar, eight hundred pounds. I yearn for more than a mere taste.

Another tale is how my lady was honored by the visits of a dedicated nun. For twenty-five years a woman named Sarah Whitehead came daily to the Bank to wait for her brother. She always left alone. The reason was that her brother had been a clerk at the Bank, but was sentenced to death for forgery. He rightfully deserved that fate, in my opinion. The tragedy ?turned her mind? and so she would wait by the steps every day, under the delusion that her brother still worked there. The other clerks named her the Bank Nun. Many stories have been written about the ever faithful nun.

There are so many wonderful stories, which call forth a maelstrom of emotions from within me. The land that the Bank had been built on was originally marshy, which means that the building has its own repertoire of noises caused by the flexing of construction materials. These sounds have encouraged multiples tales that will send shivers down your spine, sometimes in horror, sometimes in delight. In addition St. Christopher-le-Stocks church was torn down so that the bank could be expanded to the west; on a side note it amuses me that religion yielded to avarice. To return to my point, the garden court of the bank lies in the previous churchyard. There are rumors of bodies buried in the garden, which has inspired talk of ?things that go bump in the night.? Some people would call my work dull. What fools men can be.

A few people may be curious how my lady earned her name. There was a cartoon published in seventeen ninety-seven, regarding the Restriction Period. Confused? Perhaps I should start at the beginning. In that year, during the month of February, an invasion scare caused a rush for gold throughout the country. People changed their paper money into gold and the Bank?s reserves dropped to a dangerously low level. The Bank was authorized to stop payment on its notes, and thus the Restriction period began. It ended fifty years ago. The cartoon, created by James Gillray, shows the Bank as an elderly lady being taken advantage of by the Prime Minister of that time, William Pitt the Younger. The cartoon had two titles ? ?Political Ravishment,? or ?The Old Lady of Threadneedle Street in Danger.? The old lady wore a dress of one pound notes and was seated upon a chest of gold. Now the Bank is surrounded by four streets – Threadneedle Street to the south, Lothbury to the north, Princes Street to the west, and Bartholomew Lane to the east. I cannot say why the street to the south was chosen, though I can say that it tickles my fancy to imagine my lady wearing a dress crafted from bank notes.

To speak a little more about myself, I have taken the title ?gentleman? and transformed it into an art form. I am the definition of masculine beauty. I am the icon of courteous behavior. I am the embodiment of grace and elegance.

I am Isaac Indomitus, and I am enthralled to the Old Lady on Threadneedle Street.

February 8, 2006 at 8:30 pm #2226
    Arianrhod
    Participant

“To speak a little more about myself, I have taken the title ?gentleman? and transformed it into an art form. I am the definition of masculine beauty. I am the icon of courteous behavior. I am the embodiment of grace and elegance. “

OMG…its the anti-Roland! or is Roland the anti-Isaac? Either way, kickass intro! This game just keeps getting better and better as the quality gamers and posters make their way here.

February 9, 2006 at 1:20 am #2227
    Arrolin
    Participant

Excellent introduction post.

February 10, 2006 at 7:29 pm #2228
    Catherine
    Participant

Fantastic post…I really enjoyed the first person POV in it.

February 12, 2006 at 10:39 pm #2229
    Jeff Crowley
    Participant

That was a fantastic start to what I hope will be many more plots.

February 18, 2006 at 5:13 am #2230

That was really well written and a great read, Thanks!

February 25, 2006 at 9:32 pm #2231
    Charlize
    Participant

Great intro! Damn he's cute! lol

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.