Letters From Dover

• May 8, 2006 at 8:50 am #2004
    SirAbrahamHughes
    Participant

Mun's note: Hello all. Sorry I've been MIA – start of term and the time difference mean I'm not up as late as I used to be. I'll return no later than the end of June. Meanwhile…feel free to write me I.C. I'm going to (hopefully) get a scene written before too very long. ^_^;; Cheers to all.

1st May, 1871

My dear Sir Hughes,

I hope you?ll forgive the liberty of my writing you this way after our brief acquaintance. I would have written sooner, but was debating the propriety of such an action, given the circumstances. However, I decided that it would be worse to let you wonder why I have disappeared so completely without any way of discovering the reason.

I am in Dover, currently, staying with my sister and her family for a short time. The fresh air is doing me more good than I can say, though there is a part of me that longs for London. I was the only of my sisters who truly grew up in the city, and it is a part of me in a way they cannot understand. Regardless, Dover is very beautiful, and I can see why some would wish to settle here.

First, let me beg your forgiveness for departing without a word, especially after the trip to Salisbury you mentioned. Believe me, it was not my intent to suddenly disappear at the time of our meeting. Circumstances, however, have made it unavoidable for the present. I am no longer in the employ of the Highgates; and as such, I thought it best to let the storm blow over before I sought out new employment. My brother-in-law is a bit perturbed with me, as the family was a connection of his, but not so much that he begrudges me time with my sister, for which I am grateful. To be thrust on the world with no connections at all is a harder thing than it sounds to one who has never experienced it.

It was truly an honor to meet you, and to hear of my mother. I am sure you miss her in a way I can and do not, but you also had the pleasure of knowing her that I lack. In any case, please do feel free to write if you have the leisure and inclination. If not, I will certainly let you know when I return to London and find a new position.

Respectfully yours,

Agnes Ridgemont

1st May, 1871

Dear Mr. Morris,

I pray you pardon me, sir, for it has been weeks now that I have deprived you of your Republic. I did intend to come find you before I left London, but circumstances necessitated that I delay my visit, and then it was too late. If you wish, I can enclose it with my next letter, but I worry that the post will damage or loose your property, which would only add to my shame at being such a lax borrower.

However, I have finished the text, and enjoyed it very much. I plan to return to London in several weeks? time; if your patience will hold a little longer, I will seek you out the moment I do and you will have your long overdue book. Perhaps we could even discuss it, a little, though I am sure your analysis will far outstrip mine.

I do hope that whatever it is you were worried about before I left has worked itself out, and believe me, I did not intend to depart so abruptly. Had I known of my imminent departure, I would have warned you.

Do take care of yourself. I am sure I will see you again.

Your servant,

Agnes Ridgemont

PS If you encounter Miss Mor, in the Athenaeum or elsewhere, please do give her my warmest regards. I regret not having a chance to say goodbye before my overhasty departure.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.