Letters – April 1, 1870

• February 4, 2006 at 4:03 pm #1616
    Doug Davis
    Participant

Dearest Brother,

I fear my time here in America is coming to an abrupt end. The family of my husband refuses to recognize me as their daughter-in-law anymore; apparently I?m more of a liability than anything else. It is an unfortunate set of circumstances that has gone on since that fateful summer seven long years ago.

All I wanted were children and some measure of happiness. I have neither. I feel like my life has been rendered incomplete, and I do not wish to see the same of you. I know you hate York and being around father. Take Grandfather?s advice and head to London. You can become your own man there just as Grandfather broke the mold and moved away from the ancestral Balfour home in Plymouth. I know you have this courage inside of you and can succeed in whatever you wish to do.

I have decided to spend what little money I had left to send you this package. You will find these things more valuable than I did. Firstly, you shall notice the pistol. This was Paul?s pistol that he wore proudly in the War. Grandfather will recognize the valiant efforts of a man to risk life and body in the name of something greater: Country. I know that you still hate father for having me marry an American, but not a day goes by do I regret marrying Paul. I shall cherish being his wife forever. I ask that you forgive father soon. Holding onto the hatred will burn through your very soul, especially if father dies before you can confront him on how you feel.

The next item you shall find is an authentic American Dollar. This was the first Dollar that Paul sent back from his Army pay. These Americans seem to have less a grasp on the value of money than the beggars of Whitechapel District in London. I saved this as a memory of my husband during that vile time.

Please keep these items. They may not seem like anything of great monetary value, but I suspect you shall grow to cherish these things as memories of me, my dear brother. I shall not write for quite some time after this letter, but please remember that we will meet again someday, I am sure of it.

Forever your Sister,

Emma Balfour-Wincott

April 1, 1870

That was the last letter he ever received from his dear sister, Emma. She passed away several days later having consumed a great quantity of opiates.

The letter, the pistol, and the one piece of currency all remain private items in Dorian’s collection. Emma had been right, they were of great sentimental value. The pistol could have even been of great monetary value to a collector in years to come, but the pistol would remain in the family.

It was as much of an heirloom or part of an inheritance as the wealth that had been built up over two centuries, among other things.

February 4, 2006 at 6:10 pm #2160
    Jeff Crowley
    Participant

A little revelation into the man’s head (and the bottom of his flask), I’m looking forward to more. ::smiles:: Please?

February 4, 2006 at 6:54 pm #2161
    Catherine
    Participant

Interesting look at what makes him tick! As Egeria said, I’m looking forward to more, too.

February 5, 2006 at 1:56 am #2162
    Bishop
    Participant

Interesting look into a mysterious character. Good work.

February 6, 2006 at 8:04 pm #2163
    Arianrhod
    Participant

you know for a common drunk…..this guy has DEPTH! Keep it up my man…you know you got skills

February 14, 2006 at 8:27 pm #2164

I really enjoyed getting a closer look into Dorian's backround. I can't wait to read more about Layna's fave customer in the future.

February 25, 2006 at 10:02 pm #2165
    Charlize
    Participant

Very interesting. More please.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.