Let Me Tell You A Story…

• February 25, 2006 at 9:25 am #1792
    Charlize
    Participant

Sophie lounged quietly in the Duchess' conservatory, her battered book open and ignored upon her lap. Since her arrival to Somerset Mansion, she had found the glass paneled room a welcomed refuge, with its heady scent of foliage and the melodic dribbling of the large marble fountain. Flowers bloomed in abundance here, a stark contrast to the winter ravaged garden outside. Sighing softly, she allowed her eyes to fall closed, sleep beginning its descent upon her.

She didn't know how long she had been asleep, but it was the sudden gust of winter air that woke her. Hazel eyes opened lazily to peer at the new arrival. She half expected to see Catherine, but was surprised to find that the face looking back at her belonged to another. A small paige boy stood watching her, about 11, his head cocked curiously to one side. She raised herself from the chaise lounge, eyes blinking away the grogginess left behind by sleep.

“Wee laddie. How long have you been standing there?” The boy frowned. “Oi didn't mean no truble me'lady.” One brow arched, a smile turning the corners of her lips skyward. “Well I should hope not young man.” She stood, stretching in a most unladylike way. “Come closer lad, I do not bite.” The boy shuffled closer nervously, but with a sense of defiance that belied his age. “Tell me, what is your name?” She had moved to the fountain and had perched on the ledge, her hands automatically primping the now rumpled gown about her. “Me name is Edward” He fidgeted in place, small hands tucked behind his back. Before she could say anything further, he spoke.

“Me mum says tat yer from da hethen cuntree. Dat true?” Sophie stopped her administrations, looking up at him like an owl. Without word she burst out laughing, her body shaking with mirth. “I would hardly consider Scotland the land of heathens.” She waved the boy closer with a manicured hand. Edward frowned, but did as he was bidded. He didn't need further instruction. He settled next to her on the fountain, his eyes peering into the churning waters. “Wot's it loik, then? Izit loik Lunnun?” Sophie shook her head, her dark brown curls, already loose from her nap, now fell free from its bind. “No. It's nothing like London.” She looked at the boy closely, noting the shock of curly blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. “But I shall tell you if you like.” He nodded an affirmative.

“Scotland, ” she began, “is like no other place you can imagine.” One petite hand broke the surface of the water as she spoke. “There are hills out there that are so high you could swear that if you climbed it, you could touch the very stars of heaven.” A smile touched her lips as she warmed to the subject. “The skies are so blue, well young Edward, they are the very picture of your very pretty eyes” Edward attempted to snort and giggle at the same time which had them both laughing. “And the grass. The grass is the color of emeralds. Something that you couldn't find here in London.” He chuckled disbelievingly, but his face had become flushed with excitement as he listened. ” Oi don't believe yer tellin ta truth.” She chuckled. “Really Edward, you shouldn't call a Lady a liar.” Before he could become alarmed by her words, she continued. “But I suppose that one could disbelieve what I say for not many people know what it is like to live in the Land of Faries.” She had said it so matter-of-factly that it left no room for doubt.

The boy's mouth dropped open, eyes as large as tea cup saucers. “Truly me'lady….?” She continued the facade, hazel eyes surveying the room. “Of course Edward.” She let her words hang in the air between them, knowing what kind of impact it made. Tapping her chin thoughfully, she stood and moved languidly to a large potted plant for closer inspection. “Me'lady…” He came to stand next to her, his eyes following her own gaze. She smiled, then leaned in conspiratorially. Her voice dropping to a mere whisper. “Would you like to hear a tale Edward….a tale of the wonders I've seen? The boy nodded, “Yes me'Lady….” His own voice low so as not to be overheard. She grinned broadly and returned to her seat on the fountain. “Then sit My Bonnie Lad, and let me tell you a story.”

February 25, 2006 at 11:47 am #2352
    Layna
    Participant

Nicely done, you. Hope we get the tale. Hint.

February 25, 2006 at 9:31 pm #2353
    Ceara MacKenna
    Participant

Yeah, where's the rest? lol

February 25, 2006 at 10:03 pm #2354

Yeah I wanna hear the story too. A good read I look forward to more.

February 26, 2006 at 4:48 am #2355
    Catherine
    Participant

Good stuff! On to the next part!

February 27, 2006 at 1:26 pm #2356
    Jeff Crowley
    Participant

A fine nanny she makes ::winks:: very nice. The story is even cuter now

February 28, 2006 at 5:18 pm #2357
    Holdyn Wolf
    Participant

Sits eagerly for the next post. “That was awesome, too bad Catherine was around to hear the story.”

Catherine Elizabeth Franklin
    Duchess Of Somerset

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.