Inconspicuous Advantage

• February 28, 2006 at 5:47 am #1810
    Marcus
    Participant

I know I'm fairly new to this game, and have only been in the MR playing for the first time tonight. But a situaition did come up. I suppose that's how rule suggestions get put in. [g]

Anyway, inconspicuous when active makes a character just that. But as a player who doesn't know the game and or characters how am I to guess who has it on their sheet or who doesn't? Therefore I was thinking that perhaps putting some sort of command in their action like {i} would be appropriate when they're not interacting with anyone in the bar or scene.

Just my two cents. It's just hard to know you're not supposed to notice a character if you don't know their sheet. I'm sure it's easy for old players to spot players with that on their sheet, but for new players it's not that easy. And in a room with a lot of people activly playing it might help eliminate any mistaken OOC.

February 28, 2006 at 6:13 am #2375
    Lurker
    Participant

As far as my understanding goes, inconspicuous is always active, unless they do something to draw attention to themselves or otherwise interact with others.

I mention, every few lines or so, the word inconspicuous. I feel no need to put something in every line I type to make it known. Pointing it out when there's a slip shouldn't be much trouble.

February 28, 2006 at 7:55 am #2376
    Marcus
    Participant

Anyone can describe their character as inconspicious. It just seems to make sense to put something in the action. Like in front of the action. Or perhaps italic actions mean inconspicuous. People put * in front of their actions whenthey're outside or p* I don't see the problem with having to put .

March 1, 2006 at 11:10 pm #2377

The problem I have with that is that there are many advantages and disadvantages and if we do the whole thing with this then we gotta start making it for every advantage which just seems like more of a headache than anything else to me. I've never had a problem with things as they are, I can see your point but I don't think you're idea is the most convient solution I guess is what I'm trying to say. That said I'll go with whatever the majority feels is best but that's just my two cents.

March 2, 2006 at 12:25 am #2378
    VEST Paradox
    Participant

As an official side note, there will be abilities, powers, etc… that will allow a player to alter their shape, appearance, state of visibility, tangibility, and all that. I do think it would be easier for someone to put a symbol or notation before their play to signify this rather than get into an argument because someone missed their line about being in some state. It's probably going to be easier to establish this change now, while we are earlier on than to have to later as new powers, skills, and abilities come out I think.

Of course, this comes from the idea that it's a lot easier to notice a symbol in front of someone's RP rather than the text of it. I look for location markers before anything to see if I even need to pay attention to the RP.

Ideas for State Markers:
    Inconspicuous
    [d] Disguise
    [c] Chameleon
    [w] Wisp
    [*] Spirit World

March 2, 2006 at 12:59 am #2379
    Marcus
    Participant

As a new player, I would just like to say thank you. That makes things much less confusing. To me it's sort of like mindspeak in other games. It's a pain in the ass to put (name)>>mindspeak<< sometimes, but imagine how confusing it would be if it was just put in Italics, or quotations or something. It's very confusing for a new player to just jump in as it is, I think this will clear up a lot of things. It's much easier to have directions than to guess. Once that starts happening, situations become confusing.

March 2, 2006 at 3:04 am #2380
    Miskatonic
    Participant

You should include a marker for Conspicuous as well, yeah? I mean, there's something about the Conspicuous person that can't help but be noticed by EVERYONE. In the same way that we, as players, will be forced to recognize that an Inconspicuous person is practically invisible to our characters until they draw attention to themselves, those who are Conspicuous should be actively noticed.

And then if you add a Conspicuous marker, is there a suffix to the marker that indicates to the other players WHAT about the person is so Conspicuous?

I understand the desire for such clarification, but it seems to me there's the possibility of creating so many indicating prefixes that things become ridiculous. I would also find it important, as a player, to be paying attention to the writing and creation that's going on in the room by other players, even if it's not something that your character in the room needs to be aware of.

March 2, 2006 at 8:48 pm #2381

I have a terrible memory so I for one will never remember all the state markers it would take to label everything. Maybe if we just put something like “conspicuous” ? I saw Ceara do that in the room and I knew she was letting me know she had that on her sheet.I think that's a better and much easier way to go about it and kinda meet in the middle so everyone is happy…well hopefully anyway lol. If we're gonna put something I'd just like to see it kept more simple than memorizing dozens of command markers. Thanks.

March 2, 2006 at 11:57 pm #2382
    MinaLeading
    Participant

I've got the worst memory of all and i'm still all for this. We need a way to decipher who is under what ability at the time. If something is up all the time, then I would assume it is up to the other players to remember who has what, after the initial knowledge has been gained. Like, Ty for example. After a night of using the abbrv for inconspicuous i'd imagine I wouldn't have to use it again for some time. Unless a massive flux of new gamers bombarded the room or something. In which I would again, use the abbrv so others knew and would remember. I don't think you need to use it every night. But if you keep it on your character sheet for quick reference, it shouldn't be hard to look back, remember yourself, and remind anyone that might not know that evening as well.

A system like this is going to be needed if there are going to be a slew of abilities and masteries and forms at our grasp. It will keep miscommunication to a minimum and will allow a record for later review, if needed, who was using what and what time. No one wants to go through the headache of players who go back and say they were using something or under an effect of some sort if there's no real proof to back it up;and nothing is sweeter than a log. I've been through similiar situations in the past, and believe me it isn't worth the trouble when all you had to do in the beginning was put an [abbrv] before your gameplay here and there throughout the night. You can do it folks ! I have faith in your intelligence ! Change is good !

The Scoundrel

March 3, 2006 at 1:15 am #2383
    Catherine
    Participant

So maybe this is a petty point in the long run, but even if we're going to have abbreviations, I'd appreciate it being something other than [symbol]. Maybe it's just me, but I find myself taking longer to type the [] brackets than some other things, and, well, I miss 'em a lot and make typos because of 'em, too. 😉 Maybe instead of having an * as in locations, using a letter and the $ or @ sign or something. For example, then, i$ would be inconspicuous, d$ would be disguise, and so on.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.