Forgery

• March 23, 2006 at 7:49 pm #1923
    Catherine
    Participant

What do people think about the idea of adding a forgery skill?

March 24, 2006 at 6:34 am #2516
    Herald42
    Participant

like counterfeiting in Crossroads?

March 24, 2006 at 7:12 am #2517
    Catherine
    Participant

Something like that, yeah.

March 24, 2006 at 12:10 pm #2518
    Adelaide
    Participant

I think it's a good idea that fits well into this time period.

March 24, 2006 at 11:37 pm #2519
    VEST Paradox
    Participant

Think that should be a seperate skill or a part of Artistry?

March 25, 2006 at 12:45 am #2520
    Herald42
    Participant

Artistry is more… flowery, music, cooking. Forgery could very well fit in with Larceny, however. Perhaps even as a level 8 specialty since we need one of those.

Steven

March 25, 2006 at 1:19 am #2521
    VEST Paradox
    Participant

I was thinking of putting it under Larceny as well actually with a bonus to it if you have Artistry (Visual) of 4 or more was my initial thought after my last post.

I know you sent me some stuff for Larceny before Z… but I can't find it now, do you remember what that was?

March 25, 2006 at 1:35 am #2522
    Catherine
    Participant

Personally, I feel like it should be more of a separate skill than being tied to either artistry or larceny. Larceny and artistry already cover so many things, and I feel like it might be making those skills overpowered to add yet another thing to them, particularly an ability that could wind up being as useful as forgery.

March 25, 2006 at 1:45 am #2523
    VEST Paradox
    Participant

Well, while I agree that it could be a useful skill, Larceny as a skill covers all things illegal, and forgery also fits under Artistry (since replication does take artistic talent). I don't think forgery by itself is useful enough as a skill on it's own however. I can think of uses for it, but not enough applicable ones that could actually qualify it for it's own unique skill.

I mean, I'm not opposed to criminality in the game by any means ( as should be obvious ) however putting in a skill that would better fit into one we already have would be akin to adding a Legal Documenting Skill to understand and draft legal documents. Part of Artistry there, as well as the Law skill. Artistry isn't just for flowery stuff, writing is for writing novels, poems, speeches, etc, visual covers Illumination, Painting, Scultpure, Illustration, Drawing. Music covers composing and playing music as well as various instruments, Dancing covers choreography and perfoming. Artistry isn't just a foofy skill to perform with, it's listed the way it is since that is the most common usage for it, you guys can use your imagination for other uses, but if I try and include everything a skill can be used for, each skill will be multiple pages long.

March 25, 2006 at 1:53 am #2524
    Catherine
    Participant

Larceny as it stands now seems mostly to cover various aspects of burglary…pick-pocketing, breaking and entering, and sleight of hand. Forgery doesn't directly relate to those in the same way. Larceny is the theft of personal property. The skills that are currently covered within that are all used directly in that pursuit. I just feel like it would be more of a stretch to include forgery directly amongst those.

March 25, 2006 at 6:57 am #2525
    Adelaide
    Participant

Forgery just seems more like a “white collar” crime, not something a common theif or burglar would be good at, since a good number of them probably couldn't read or write, and if they could then not very well.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.