Character SL brainstorming

• January 29, 2006 at 9:44 am #1593
    Adelaide
    Participant

I figured since everything is still in development it might be productive to post some storyline possibilities (not main storylines neccesarily) and see if others were interested in taking part of it. Say for instance setting up a family business, where multiple members of the family were needed to run it, etc.

For myself I’m interested in having an antique shop slash used book store that has been in the family for a few generations. Owned currently by a man in either his late 30’s or early 40’s, with his son and nephew and another gentlemen closer to his own age running things.

Just stuff like that basically. Once a few Sl’s are created then the possbility of finding links between them becomes a little easier.

P.S. Anyone who is interested in the scenario I described above feel free to reply here or via PM. Thanks

January 29, 2006 at 4:54 pm #2096
    Doug Davis
    Participant

I personally think a book shop of any kind would add some flavor to the game, and provide an excellent place to base RP and other SLs from. As for the antique shop… I’m not quite familiar with the market of antique goods in this period… I always thought that antiques were something rather modern?

I could be wrong though!

January 30, 2006 at 5:34 am #2097
    Adelaide
    Participant

It could be either antique or imported merchandise and other rare items. I also thought about having the family being in the service of an aristocratic family who is part of a secret society, kind of like the free masons or an occult lodge, etc. Something that has to be kept secret since christianity is obviously the social norm in this time period. The bookstore could also serve as a front for any shady dealings or messages sent between the family and agents of the lodge the lodge etc.

That’s the sort of stuff I’m interested in playing. 😈

January 30, 2006 at 5:47 am #2098
    VEST Paradox
    Participant

Antiques were not rarely traded in public, they were usually passed through the family or only sold privately when the family needed money.

Now if you deal in objects from the orient, as well as rare books, perhaps herbal remedies or ingredients, there is an idea. I also like the idea about the secret society, and I would like to hear your ideas on that. Right now I’m planning on allowing mortals to have breed leaders, though not for creating families, but through secret societies and organizations. So this is an excellent idea and very in line with what we have plans for. I want mortals to be a viable breed, as much as the others.

January 30, 2006 at 5:57 am #2099
    Doug Davis
    Participant

I totally agree that something like the Free Masons is not out of the question. The character would need a viable SL/BG to be a Mason though.

I can also see cloak & dagger type societies formed on exterminating the various breeds, or keeping a watch over Werewolf/Vampire conflict.

January 30, 2006 at 8:20 am #2100
    Adelaide
    Participant

Ok cool. I’ll have to rack my brain for some ideas, and educate myself a little more on the time period.

The idea of cloak & dagger groups reminds me a little of the Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust movie, where Meyer Link hired the Barbaroy to guard his coffin while he traveled during the day. As well as the bounty hunters who were paid to track him down and save the woman he had kidnapped.

I’m looking forward to more adventure elements, the stuff that has sort of slowly evaporated from BB. Even if that means a little prodding on the part of “management” to get things going, instead of just coffee socializing and romantic talk. 😈

January 30, 2006 at 11:14 am #2101
    VEST Paradox
    Participant

Oh, Fear Not.. we plan to have some involvement. I have one person looking over all the BG’s that have been submitted and since they don’t play the game, they have no idea who is who so they can keep unbiased. If you look at Reputation for instance, having it known what your breed is can be a dangerous thing, -5 to reputation means that you could get as much as -9 to all social rolls, income rolls, and legal rolls because you are known to be non human. Being that widely notorious as a breed will likely mean the presence of hunters.

Hunters will be around as well, mostly NPC of various strengths, so if you waste a couple of them,expect the next batch to be tougher, and so on. This doesn’t mean you will constantly be hounded on a nightly basis, but if you become known, expect conflicts. This is still the fringe of the Age of Reason, and the Age of Myth hasn’t fully died out. By the middle of the 1600’s the church and other organizations have pretty much wiped out all supernaturals, though some have managed to survive. So err on the side of caution. We won’t be GMing every single night, but things can and will happen, so with that in mind, don’t expect a coffee and romance game for all time, things could certainly get rough in those times.

January 30, 2006 at 1:21 pm #2102
    Doug Davis
    Participant

Aw, no coffee/romance game? ::cries!::

In seriousness, I would point out that even if you managed to escape Hunters, if you killed several people, you would probably have Scotland Yard after you, unless you are a brilliant Cover-Up artist and manage to offset the blame elsewhere.

January 31, 2006 at 5:40 am #2103
    Adelaide
    Participant

After a quick brain racking I came up with some ideas.

An Irish family is forced to leave the Island due to a murder

which was commited in self defense against a prominent member of

the community (perhaps the father protecting the daughter

from the advances of the attempted rape by the mayor’s son).

They arrive in London, where the father gets a job as a dock hand

for a shipping company owned by a wealthy London family. This London

family’s head is a high ranking member of the Free mason’s. The father

overhears a little too much information about these secret dealings and is forced to make a decision, either he become a henchman for the Family

or be deported back to Ireland to face the mercy of the authorities there. The man agrees due to the fact that his family would not be able to survive on their own. He puts the man in charge of a shop which is a front that is used to carry out certain business between members of the masons.

I also thought about the possibility of a love affair between the Irish man’s daughter and a son of the head of the aristocratic family, but not sure how that would tie in yet.

Just a real brief and basic idea to get the juices flowing. I just need an SL that shows how the shop has come into the hands of the current owner.

January 31, 2006 at 3:52 pm #2104
    VEST Paradox
    Participant

Found a resource for you, the Order of the Golden Dawn didn’t exist at the time, but here is a page with a lot of organizations of the time History of the Order of the Golden Dawn. The Freemasons are the most likely, though they were not all that secretive, they were a public men’s club, even though just as they do today, their inner workings are shrouded in mystery. This should boost your ideas, the rest sounds absolutely awesome though.

February 1, 2006 at 6:39 am #2105
    Adelaide
    Participant

Thanks for the link. Actually mystery religions and mystcism are two subjects that I have been interested in for awhile. I think it would be best to just create a fictional group loosely based off of an occult lodge of the time, even if it were a branch stemming from another country (this would make its secrecy more important especially if it were a political enemy of England). I’m assuming that prejudice against the Irish was still prevelent, so the fact that an intermarraige between a common Irish woman and a gentlemen of high society would be a good scandal, and since her last name would be changed, the secret of her identity could be kept from the public. And through this line the current owners of the shop come into existence. Not knowing the secret of their family’s history. Perhaps the woman gave birth out of wedlock, and the marraige was used as a cover up. Something like that.

That way there are motives driving some of the behavior on the aristocratic side, since this would bring shame to them if the secret ever became known. The higher ups could be descendents of the Knights Templar, those that escaped the accusations of heresy. They could still be worshipping the mystery of the Baphomet under locked door in a secret temple etc. While using the front of a gentlemen’s club to diffuse any suspicion.

This also in turn makes the lure of the vampire or werewolf more attractive when their existence in found out. Those thirsting for arcane knowledge may want to become immortal at the price of their soul, while other members of the order may argue against this.

February 1, 2006 at 5:22 pm #2106
    VEST Paradox
    Participant

Good thoughts, I like it. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with definitely. We will have more people showing on the site soon, so you should get more people perusing your ideas here in the near future.

February 1, 2006 at 11:31 pm #2107
    Doug Davis
    Participant

Well, I like the thoughts that you have, but there’s a couple things that I can think of.

Some immortals go after power more than they do knowledge… but it is an interesting concept for sure. I’d say that Magi or Psions would be more geared for knowledge than the Vamps or Lycans.

I like the idea of a secret society and I think it is very fitting. While my character would initially not be a member of such a thing, I can definitely see Dorian becoming interested in them at some point.

I hope that other people are interested in this because I think it’s a great concept for the game.

🙂

February 4, 2006 at 11:02 am #2108
    Catherine
    Participant

Dunno how interested you’d be in it, but I could definitely see the church as being a part of such a secret society, or at least having some sort of secret, unofficial ties to it.

If you are interested, I’d be more than happy to talk with you about how it could be worked out.

Paradox, I’d also be interested in hearing more about what you had in mind in terms of breed leaders for mortals.

February 4, 2006 at 7:51 pm #2109
    VEST Paradox
    Participant

Mortal Breed leaders will be leaders of secret societies, though they will probably require a few more followers than the supernaturals, or at least require some awakened mortals (mages/psion) to fuel them.

I plan on adding some medium type of masteries to Mortals, something along the lines of the ability to feel or see spirits and communicate with them. I have some plans for the future that will make them more useful. I’d like to see Mortals be a viable breed and have their own unique place in the community besides that of a stepping stone to the other breeds. I personally feel that Mortals *should* be as interesting as the others. Just my two cents, and though I don’t have any *defined* mastery ideas for Mortal Leaders, I have a few ideas.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.