Casting Discipline Bonus

• March 26, 2006 at 3:50 am #1934
    VEST Paradox
    Participant

Since Fighting styles no longer give Bonuses to Modifiers, the bonus to Discipline from Mystical Skills will be removed since that was the entire reason for them existing. So Staff members need to be aware of this and inform players that they no longer get these bonuses.

March 26, 2006 at 8:12 pm #2549
    Annabella
    Participant

Well, I kind of don't like that. I mean, we already have to spend TONS of XP in order to effectively cast masteries. I mean, it's not like the mystical skills are at a “low” rating or anything. They're at a medium rating. I mean, players who were not innate magi especially are experiencing hardship as it is because of having to buy up all those skills. The +1 perk was just a cool one that made sense. It made things worth it for wanting to get all 12 levels of a certain skill. I see the +1 perk as apples and the combat bonuses as oranges. There's got to be SOME kind of extra benefit that makes it worth it to buy the skills or even become magi beyond the expensive masteries. I mean, it's not like you could have added the +1 bonus to defending a theology roll, it was just there when casting stuff.

Doubt you'll agree with me, but it's just my take. I'll leave it at that.

Steven

March 27, 2006 at 8:19 pm #2550
    VEST Paradox
    Participant

The perk to buying the extra skills is the price for the Power that Magi and Psions possess. The perk is that they can cast Spells and Talents instantly that have a 1 day duration at line of sight. No more than that even needs said, but you know me. The only reason they got the *perk* wasn't because they paid more XP for the skills to cast, it was to balance out the fact that fighting styles gave bonuses to Attack, Will, Inits, and Dodge. Meaning a Magi going off of Discipline + Casting was capped at a 2d6 + 36 vs a Will, Dodge, or Inits of 45. Now that Fighting Styles, Dodge, Inits, and Will follow the same caps, Magi no longer need this bonus to keep themselves balanced, so now it's gone.

I think Instant cast masteries with day long durations and line of site range is a perfectly decent compensation for having to buy two additional skills at medium cost.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.